Every year in autumn, my grandmother used to bake her delicious onion tarts. We used to sit around her kitchen table and enjoy this savoury and cheesy goodness while sipping on a glass of “Federweisser”. Federweisser is a young and sweet white wine, sometimes closer to grape juice than wine, depending on the stage of fermentation (“Feder” = feather, “weisser” = the white one).
Onion tart is a traditional seasonal dish in southern Germany, perfect for a cold and grey autumn day. Usually, bacon bits are added to the tart. As I don’t eat meat, I wanted to share with you my favourite vegetarian onion tart recipe!
It’s not the easiest pie out there and chopping all those onions will surely make your eyes water like crazy. But I assure you, as soon as that delicious smell wafts through your house, you will know that it was worth the trouble.
- 125g (0.5 cup) quark / curd cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp oil
- 200g (1.5 cups) flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs
- butter to grease your baking pan
- 750g (7 cups onions) cut into rings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 dash of paprika
- 1 tbsp flour
- 200ml (1 cup) cream
- 3 eggs
- 30g (0.25 cup) mature cheese, grated
- 0.15 tsp ground coriander (cilantro)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400 F).
- Grease your baking pan (I recommend using a springform pan).
- Combine the quark, egg yolk, milk, flour, baking powder, oil and salt and knead until smooth. Roll out the dough.
- Press the dough onto the bottom of a greased springform pan and up the sides.
- Prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Heat the butter in a large pan and sauté the onion rings until translucent. Add parsley, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Whisk together 1 tbsp flour, cream, eggs and grated cheese. Add the coriander and caraway seeds (optional). Fold in the onions.
- Pour the filling onto the dough and smooth the top.
- Cover the pan with aluminium foil and bake for about 60 minutes.
- Remove the aluminium foil and bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown.