January is officially the most dreary and depressing month of the year. With the holidays behind us, getting through the cold and dark winter months can be tough. The short days and the lack of sunlight can affect our mood and even cause seasonal depression or anxiety (a.k.a. “winter blues”). I’ve compiled a list of ideas that might help you change your mindset and find things to enjoy when Christmas is over and you want to lighten up those bleak winter days.
1. Go outside and embrace the season! Bundle up, go for a walk and reward yourself with a delicious hot chocolate back home
2. Make a huge bowl of popcorn
3. Wrap yourself in a blanket and rewatch your favourite film (while munching away on your popcorn)
4. Light some scented candles
5. Bake some biscuits
6. Host a board game night for your friends
7. Start a new hobby! Take up photography, learn how to knit or try painting!
8. Plan your summer garden
9. Build a pillow fort and hide out until spring
10. Read one of those unread books on your shelf
11. Declutter your home
12. Clean your wardrobe
13. Rearrange or redecorate a room
14. Write a letter to an old friend
15. Exercise! How about a little yoga or a swim? Exercise reduces stress hormones and promotes the release of endorphins
16. Treat yourself to a Spa day (at home)
18. Create anticipation: Plan your summer holiday!
19. Cook up some comfort food
20. Take a hot bubble bath
And always remember that without winter, we would never appreciate the beauty of spring and warmth of summer!
Thanks for reading 🙂